Shiitake Mushroom Instructions
Shiitake Mushroom Instructions
Our kits are all guaranteed to grow! If you do not notice any growth five days after opening your kit please contact us immediately and we will help troubleshoot/replace it for you.
To get the most out of your grow kit, place it in a clear plastic tub with the lid cracked open to allow fresh air exchange. This environment will allow higher humidity levels for your mushrooms and give you a better quality result.
Ensure that the lid is cracked open enough to allow the tub to dry out between each misting, this will help you to avoid any mold growth.
Set-up, Environment & First Crop
- Our kits are ready to fruit, for best results start the process below as soon as you receive it.
- Put the kit into your fridge overnight, the cold shock helps to initiate mushroom growth.
- Once kit has been chilled overnight, remove it from the fridge and give the kit a few firm smacks, this is another technique used to help initiate mushroom growth.
- Carefully remove the block from inside the bag, it is best to do this outside as some juices will leak out.
- Set your kit up in the tub (as pictured below), and mist it water, heavily. You want to see the colour of the block change from light brown, to dark. Any excess water should be drained from the tub.
- Place the tub in a mild spot (20c) inside your home that does not receive any direct sunlight e.g. kitchen bench, laundry or bathroom (our favourite). At cooler temperatures the mushrooms will grow at a slower pace and at warmer temperatures a faster pace.
- Mist the kit with water once a day. Again, you want to see the colour of the block change from light brown, to dark. Any excess water should be drained from the tub.
- It will take up to 5 days for the mushrooms to begin properly forming. If you do not see mushrooms forming after 5 days, please email us a photograph of the kit and we will help troubleshoot it for you.
- When the mushrooms have a distinct cap and stem, continue to mist, but only gently, once per day. It is important to avoid saturating the mushrooms while growing.
- Your mushrooms will take about a week to mature from when they first appear.
Harvest, Storage & Second Crop
We cannot guarantee the second crop due to many factors out of our control. Please read the instructions for setting up and growing the second crop. If you have any questions, send us an email and we will be happy to help.
- Harvest your mushrooms as soon as the caps become wavy along the edges. The product photo, is the perfect example of when to harvest. Please email us with a picture if you would like confirmation. If the mushrooms are overgrown, producing a second crop can be very difficult.
- To harvest, cut the mushrooms from the block as close to the surface as you can. Avoid pulling them off as this will damage mycelium and may lead to contamination.
- The mushrooms will last up to 10 days in the fridge if kept in a plastic container that is lined with paper towels.
- Once harvesting is complete, leave the kit inside the tub with the lid off so that the surface dries out.
- You can then start misting heavily again, with the lid cracked open (as pictured below). Again, you want to see the colour of the block change from light brown, to dark. Any excess water should be drained from the tub.
- Continue misting the cut surface of the kit once per day. Subsequent harvests may take anywhere from 7-14 days to appear. If no new mushrooms appear after 14 days, email us a picture of the kit so that we can help troubleshoot it for you.
- Once your kit stops producing, it can be left whole in a shady spot outdoors. Check on it after each heavy rain and you will be surprised how many more mushrooms will appear.
The bag will produce the vast majority of it's mushrooms in the first harvest, any subsequent harvests will be much smaller.
If you have any concerns about your grow kit, please send photos or questions through to: email@example.com and we will be happy to help.